Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Microsoft Breaks Into 3

So there's been a lot of chatter this year about internal Microsoft problems. Several high profile employees have left the organization, some to arch-rival Google, and there have been comments all around about low morale over in Redmond. Well it looks like Microsoft is listening and announced that they will be reorganizing the company. Three divisions have been created with their own presidents: the platform group, the business group, and the entertainment group.

I have to say I'm impressed. As a long time Microsoft customer, I've been frustrated with the integration issues Microsoft has faced for key products like SQL Server, causing big delays and missed product launches. With more autonomy, hopefully each unit will be able to execute more effectively and bring promised features to their products on time.

My cynical side is telling me, "Oh great, big bloated company is trying to appear more nimble." Time will tell whether this is a legitimate change that brings better execution or masks the problems a little better...

My big question: where does Microsoft Office fit? Nothing in the press release or over at Scobelizer mentions it specifically even though it commands quite a large share of the revenue pie...

1 comment:

Aurous said...

Hey lookit that... Spammer on my blog. Thanks, I feel legit now.