Friday, September 29, 2006

An Open Letter to Robert Menendez

My blog has been gathering considerable dust over the past several months. But the lack of morality in the US Government must end. This is a letter I am sending to Senator Robert Menendez for his approval of torture. Even though I realize this may assist a Republican candidate, I am morally outraged and cannot select the "lesser of two evils" since such a stance condones evil.

Dear Senator,

I was shocked and appalled when I read this morning’s New York Times article titled “Democrats See Strength in Bucking Bush” in which I learned that both you and Senator Lautenberg voted for a blatantly immoral, un-American, and likely unconstitutional bill that allows for torturing suspects held in American custody. You sir, have now lost my support and I will not be voting for you in the upcoming November election.

In the 12 years I have been eligible to vote in New Jersey, I have never even hesitated to pull the lever for a candidate under the Democrat line but your "pro-torture" vote is completely unconscionable. As a member of the 13th District, I have voted for you to represent me in the House of Representatives and I had every intention of continuing that support. But your immoral act should have consequences and the only recourse available is to withdraw my support for you. Sadly this stance may enable the greater of two evils to succeed, namely your opponent Thomas Kean, Jr., but my morality cannot allow Democrats to be apologists who disregard their Constitutional duty.

As Americans we should staunchly believe in dignity even for the worst criminals, as our treatment of them is a reflection of our own humanity. Take a step back from the vitriol in calling these suspects “terrorists” which merely serves to dehumanize them; instead remember that our Founding Fathers established basic principles in our Declaration of Independence that established we “are endowed by [our] Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” I encourage you to re-read this document as it birthed the once Great Nation that has fallen into the hands of unwise and morally bankrupt men.

September 11, 2001 was the biggest tragedy of this generation. I was halted in traffic among my fellow Americans on Route 139 in Jersey City that morning, dismayed and tearful as the towers collapsed before my very eyes. Since that traumatic experience we have lost our values as a nation, and my once beloved Democratic party provided no counter-weight to the corrupt but powerful Executive branch along with their henchmen in the GOP.

Mr. Menendez, you have failed America by caving into political expediency and cowardice. This is not the way to lead our country and you do not deserve your post as a US Senator from New Jersey. My only hope is that you one day realize the error of your ways and remember what it means to be an American and to represent America. Righteousness comes from upholding the Rule of Law and our sacred Constitution. Please remember, Mr. Menendez.

Cordially,
Aurous, Proud Citizen of the United States of America

No comments: